Getting Organized for the UnorganizedMay 17, 2023
You might find that some or even all aspects of your life are unorganized. Sifting through the chaos could seem like an insurmountable task, but it doesn't have to be this way!
The key is to evaluate your situation and make small steps toward an organized life. Don't try to change all at once or you could end up just adding to the chaos.
Here are some tips and tricks to follow in order to get organized:
1. Have a Place for Everything. There are certain items that you use nearly every day. Make sure that these items have a permanent place in your home. Put your keys on a key holder near the door or your wallet in your desk drawer. When your things are put away in their proper place, you're not only organized, but you'll save time as well.
2. Make a List. When you have tasks to complete, make a list of everything you need to do in order to reach completion. Writing it down will help you to visualize what needs to get done. Lists also ensure that you don't forget to do anything.
You can also separate your lists into long-term and short-term categories. The short-term list might be items you need to complete today, while the long-term sheet is your monthly or yearly goals.
3. Start Small. If there are many aspects of your life that you're trying to get organized, start with the small pieces first. For instance, if your home is unorganized, start with one room - like the kitchen. Give yourself a timeline to complete kitchen organization, and then expand yourself to other rooms once you complete that task.
4. Find a System That Works And Stick To It. There are many different organizational methods that you can choose to implement, but the most important element is to use it consistently. Make sure you understand it and follow through.
For example, there are different ways you can organize your bookshelf. You can order all books by author. You can order all books by topic. You can order by topic and author. Once you choose a system, all you need to worry about is following through.
5. Get Rid of Clutter. If you find your life is full of clutter, it's time to get rid of the junk. Maybe it's time to finally go through all the stacked boxes in your garage to make more room. When you're going through your clutter, decide immediately whether or not you've used the item in the past couple years. If you haven't, consider selling it or giving it away to charity.
Always remember that your first instincts are often right. If your first instinct is to get rid of something, don't overthink it. You could end up keeping something that sticks around for another couple years, unused!
Don't Get Overwhelmed
Of course, there are many things you can do to get yourself organized. Try to make a positive step forward each day even if it's something small. You'll soon find that your life is becoming more manageable and you'll feel a great deal of satisfaction!